Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mumbai Half Marathon 2009 (21 km) : 1 hr 49 mts













"If god invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid,
the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
"

"I want 1hr 45mts this time ", I heard her firm voice, as I was leaving the house. I nodded, with little nervousness. This was out of the box thinking from my wife. Just one and half month back, I had clocked 2 hr 3 mts in Delhi, on an absolute flat course one can get. Mumbai course was definitely not so flat. But at 5 am, while heading for the big event, my male instincts advised against any counter reaction. The course and heat were precisely the reason why I chose to stay away from 42 km this time. Last year's experience still lingered in my mind, even though I went on to do some decent full marathons after that. All I knew was that it being my last race for this season, it had to be something special.

For last few years, three of us have been representing a NGO, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India (MSSI) in Mumbai Marathon. Rajeev Khatri, from Delhi participated in wheel-chair race, Milind Soman from Mumbai ran the 42 km, and I ran in 21 km category. Rajeev has won a bronze medal in Malaysia Open, Tennis-on-Wheelchair in the month of October. All three of us had unique experience and surely some stories to share while participating in this event. In terms of participation, Mumbai marathon is just becoming bigger and bigger. A count of 35,000 runners in all categories is an evidence in itself. But 42 km (unlike Overseas Marathons) still remains a not so favored category amongst the runners with a mere participation of 2,500.

18 Jan 2009, 6:45 am, CST: As the race began, I knew I had to follow a plan and I would be required to do a lot of calculations also. The music, cheers and people added a lot of vigour. Before any long distance run, two aspects are to be taken care, eat well and keep hydrated. First 5km to 7km, body really struggles to get the momentum. Timing of 1:45 was in the back on my mind. I managed to do first 5km in 25 mts 25 sec, but I was already panting. I did wonder if I would be able to maintain this pace for next 16km. One of the best ways of increasing speed in long runs is to do fast 8-10km or fast 15 km repeatedly during training. By the time we finished the 8km mark we were on our way to Peddar road. For once I was leaving more runner behind, then being left behind. Just after Haji Ali we completed 10 km, taking 26 mt 10 sec for the next 5 km. I was almost on the target, but key lay in running faster then before. The course took turn from Mela Restaurant at Worli and continued back.
On the way back, Peddar road climb was to be tough in order to maintain the pace. The best part of this entire experience was that till the end I never frowned or felt discomfort mentally or physically. I was very relaxed and really into it. On the way back we met the lead pack of full marathon runners. As always a sight to watch them run. I kept on pushing till I touched 15km, 26mt 30sec for third leg. From here on it was down hill and then the flat course of Marine drive. A slight change in style of running and some hours I spent in Gym in past two months were showing up. For the last 8 km, I managed to tag along with two runners, maintaining a good pace. At Churchgate I touched 20km mark, 26 mts 42 sec in last leg of 5 km. It was already 1:44. There was no way I could complete the run in 1:45, but I did get her message. I was already dashing to the finishing line with personal best timing of half marathon. I finished the last 1 km in 5:12, clocking the half marathon in 1hr 49mts, my personal best time.

In last four months I successfully completed 2 full (42km) marathons and 2 half (21km) marathons. Definitely a feat I want to celebrate. While I was enjoying my achievement, lost in my thoughts, I heard her firm voice again, "You should take a year sabbatical and prepare for Commonwealth Games 2010 !!"....Powerful thought !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, man! I think I will finally go for that morning jog t'row which I have been planning for a year.

Tanvir Kazmi said...

Nice blog and some great running too! Whats next for this year?